Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week 5 - reflections

After reading the texts suggested and browsing the web for alternative assessment, rubrics, PBL and webquests, thinking they would be just too hard to implement, we had the opportunity to plan both rubrics and a weebquest.
It was indeed hard work but it paid off.
Although PBL was not new to me, I could see different ways to use the web to run them.

I consider webquests the highlight of the week. It’s amazing how we can bring together so many web resources and tools to produce a webquest and have students focus on the five abilities: reading and writing, listening, speaking and socially interacting, building knowledge together.
I’m looking forward to reviewing my webquest. It needs improvement. I want to become more efficient in working with them by the time classes start. I1ll try to replace one of the traditional activities by a webquest, probably related to the extensive reading assessment.


One very important issue this week was studying rubrics. I never even considered writing my own rubrics or writing them with the students. Rubistar will certainly be a fundamental tool from now on.  I expect to discuss rubrics with students before and after the projects, so that they’ll become aware of the quality standard expected from their work. This way, they’ll be able to learn from their own limits and possibilities. 
This scenario clearly shows how important the teacher is to facilitate learning by helping students recognize how they learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment